Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick Book Review

Image courtesy of Goodreads.
There’s nothing like reading about characters who get stuck on a mountain in an awful snow storm to make one appreciate the little snow flurries they’d normally complain about. I know I am super grateful for the little snow that we’ve been getting compared to the tons of snow and ice that’s featured in Becca Fitzpatrick’s latest novel, Black Ice. Also, I've become an even bigger fan of my nice warm bed and fuzzy socks.

I was a bit hesitant to read Black Ice at first because I like to read fantasy and sci-fi novels, and I’ll only read just plain fiction books occasionally. However, because I’m such a fan of Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush saga, I decided that it wouldn’t hurt to put Black Ice on my wish list and give it a try. Now I am not just a fan of the Hush, Hush saga, but of Fitzpatrick herself.

My personal opinion of Fitzpatrick is that she has an amazing writing voice and has believable stories with believable characters. I am also a fan of the fact that she can write tactful romance; she balances on the line between naughty and nice without falling off into Naughty Land completely. If you ask me, Fitzpatrick knows how to write great Young Adult romance novels.

Black Ice follows the story of Britt Pfeiffer as she takes on the task of backpacking through the Teton Mountains with her best friend and her ex-boyfriend. So what if there’s been a few murders in the very same area? Britt is determined to go on this trip and either win her First Love back or spite him; she has yet to make up her mind when a giant snow storm hits and detains Britt from meeting up with him. Instead of cuddling by the fire with her sweetheart, Britt finds herself taken hostage and being forced to lead a couple of fugitives off of the mountain, wild weather be darned. It isn’t too long before Britt starts to feel a weird attraction to one of her kidnappers, who may or may not be involved with the murders.

Like I said, I was kind of hesitant to read Black Ice at first. The Hush, Hush novels are fantasy books, but there’s nothing fantastical about being trapped in a snow storm and being kidnapped by some fugitives. I’m very glad that my curiosity got the better of me and I ended up reading Black Ice. The genre might not always be my cup of tea, but the characters, their relationships, and the plot itself are developed so well that I wasn’t bored in the slightest. It did take me a couple weeks to finish, but that’s only because school got in the way. If I didn’t have a ton of homework, I probably would have finished the book within two or three days.

I was a bit concerned that Britt’s character wasn’t as developed as she could have been, but by the end of the novel I decided that she’s still a driving force. I might not fully appreciate her character during the first half of the book, but I think she develops nicely by the end (can you say, girl power?). The same goes for Mason’s character (minus girl power, of course...). I might not understand them completely at the beginning, but by the end I came to know them and accept them. I don't think they're as developed as the characters in Hush, Hush, but they suffice. However, the relationships between the characters are really well developed and I absolutely love them.

Besides the minor issues with the character development, I couldn’t really find anything that made me question why I was actually reading Black Ice. Fitzpatrick has concocted a wonderful suspense novel, and I couldn’t help but want more by the time I finished reading. I mean, come on, I need to know what happens next. Sadly, Black Ice has a wrapped up ending, so I don’t know if there’s going to be a sequel. However, I will be on the lookout for Fitzpatrick’s next novel, Sapphire Skies, which is supposed to be released in October 2015.

In case I haven’t made myself clear, I highly recommend Becca Fitzpatrick’s books. If you’re a bookworm, go check them out! And if you know a bookworm, you now know the perfect gift to get them for Christmas. (Also, if you or someone you know needs a new perspective on the awful winter weather, Black Ice is the novel to read!)

Happy reading!

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment