Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowls


For some reason I've been very slow in getting my most popular recipe up on my blog. I mean, I am a procrastinator, but come on! I've had this blog for almost a year now. You'd think I would get it up at some point. Oh well, better late than never!

First, a little back story: Kyle hated black beans. He told me that I was not allowed to put them in this recipe. Rather than saying what I really wanted to, I told him that he could pick around the black beans. Long story short, it was too much of a hassle to pick them out, so he ended up eating them.

This recipe makes a lot, so I invited a couple of my friends over to eat with us, one of who was a self-proclaimed black bean hater. I eventually got her to shut up and try the black beans. Another friend came over when we had finished eating (another self-proclaimed black bean hater) and we convinced her to try the food, too.

It's funny how all three stopped being black bean haters once I got them to actually eat this recipe.

I've had more than one person ask me for my recipe (which should have made me post this recipe sooner; again with the procrastination). I had a bunch of people over from my church to help out with some things around my house, and, because this recipe makes so much, this was the first recipe that came to mind when I knew I would have to feed everybody. Everybody loved it.

Alright, enough procrastinating. Below you will find the recipe for my most popular dish, Chicken Taco Bowls.

Spray the inside of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Put 1.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of the cooker. Add 1 15 oz can of black beans (drained), 1 15 oz can of corn (drained), and 1 16 oz jar of taco sauce (I use Ortega medium heat). Sprinkle in 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1/2 Tbsp cumin, 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp salt, and a dash of black pepper. Add 1/4 cup water and give everything a good stir, then cover and let cook on low for 6-8 hours.


Cook rice according to the package right before the food is done (2 cups of water per cup of rice, boil then let simmer for anywhere from 20-45 minutes, depending on the rice you use). When the rice is done, shred the chicken, then build the bowls by putting rice in the bowl, followed by the chicken, and topped with desired toppings (salsa, sour cream, cheese, etc.).


Serve and enjoy!

I used black rice on this particular day. Looks strange; tastes amazing!

Chicken Taco Bowls


Ingredients


1.5 lbs chicken breast
1 15 oz can corn (drained)
1 15 oz can black beans (drained)
16 oz  taco sauce (I use Ortega, medium heat)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp cumin
1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
black pepper (for taste)
1/4 cup water
Rice (however much you want to eat)
Desired toppings

Directions


Spray the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker, and pour in the corn, beans, taco sauce, and water; sprinkle in the seasonings; stir; let cook on low for 6-8 hours.

When the food is close to being done, cook the rice according to the package (typically 2 cups of water per cup of rice, boil and let simmer for anywhere from 20-45 minutes, depending on the rice you use).

When the chicken is done, shred it and serve this delicious concoction on top of the rice. Top with your desired toppings and enjoy!

Molly

Recipe adapted from Budget Bytes Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment