Thursday, January 8, 2015

Orange Cranberry Scones


GUYS.

This recipe...

is amazing.

So as you may or may not know, I've tried making breakfast for my family every Wednesday during the school year (no way am I waking up at 5:45 am over holiday break). Since I've had a couple weeks off, I wasn't sure what to make now that school is back in session. I was browsing Pinterest and I saw a recipe for scones.

I thought about it.

Most scones I've had are dry. But they were never homemade.

So I thought about it some more.

I looked up a basic scone recipe, adapted it, and tried my hand at making some orange cranberry scones. And they turned out awesome and Mom and Kyle love them!


First, in a large mixing bowl mix 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 1 cup of all purpose flour, 1/4 cup of oats, 2 Tbsps of brown sugar, 1 Tbsp of flaxseed, 1 Tbsp of chia seeds, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt.


Next, cut in a stick of butter until you have a mixture that resembles a coarse meal.


In a separate bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of nonfat plain Greek yogurt, 1 large egg, and the juice from 1 orange (approximately 1/4 cup of juice). Add to the dry ingredients and mix. Your dough will be dry and crumbly, but you will mix it with your hands on a floured surface next and make it all stick together. Stir in the cranberries.


Put the dough on a floured surface and kneed until the dough sticks together. Flatten out into a circle, about ten inches. Cut into wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Ingredients


1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup oats
1 Tbsp flaxseed (I used milled)
1 Tbsp chia seeds (I used milled)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter
1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 egg
Juice from 1 orange (approx. 1/4 cup)
1 cup dried cranberries

Directions


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix flour, oats, flax, chia, powder, soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.

Cut in the butter until you have a crumbly mixture.

In a separate bowl, mix Greek yogurt, juice, and egg. Add to the dry ingredients. (The dough will seem dry; you will mix it better on a floured surface.)

Gently stir in the cranberries.

Dump the dough onto a floured surface. Kneed until it forms a dough ball that sticks together (ie you don't have a bunch of crumbly dough). Flatten into a circle (approx. 10 inches).

Cut the dough into wedges with a sharp knife (you might want to flour the knife).

Place the wedges on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.

Serve and enjoy!

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment