Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Identity Crisis

Image courtesy of Sabrina Bailey from The Red Room Photography.

I’ve made plenty of mistakes in my life. I’ve faced heartache and defeat. There are times when all I see are these mistakes and I get a sense of hopelessness. I cringe at how stupid something I said or did was, and I wonder if people remember and judge me for my foolishness.

I’ve had a lot of success in my life. I’ve accomplished many wonderful things. But all it takes is one mistake for me to doubt myself and my abilities. Recently I was accused of some nasty things. I knew the accusations were false, and my friends and family supported me and encouraged me, but I still felt worthless.

It’s easy to see ourselves as what we’ve done. Sometimes it's okay, like if you’re remembering how epic your last project turned out to be. Other times, though, how we see ourselves can be tainted by some past mistake; when that happens, we just can’t seem to get over it.

Thankfully, there is another way to define ourselves. When Jesus claims us as His, our identities depend on Him, not necessarily on us. When we find our identities in Christ, we don’t have to worry about what lies in our pasts – by accepting Christ as our Lord and Savior, our past mistakes are erased.

I sometimes manage to forget that, though.

I was listening to a positive alternative radio station while I was in the car the other day. The song “Made New” by Lincoln Brewster came on and my attention was caught by the lyrics “You remind me who I am.” I was reminded that not only does my identity rely on God, but I can also rely on Him to remind me of that fact.

Isn’t it wonderful to have someone look at you and say, “I know who you are” when you start to doubt yourself? And isn’t it even better when that someone is able to help you see who you are when you start to doubt yourself? I don’t know about you, but I think that’s a great thing.

It doesn’t matter what I did in my past. It doesn’t matter what mistakes I’m going to inevitably make in the future. I belong to a God who loves me and who created me to become a certain someone. As long as I follow His instruction, I will turn out the way I’m supposed to. He knows me, and He knows I am not the mistakes I have made. I am who He created me to be.

What songs help you remember how much God loves you?

Cheers!

Molly

Obviously I do NOT own this song or any of its content. Credit belongs to Lincoln Brewster and his team! Source: YouTube.

2 comments:

  1. You have so much wisdom :) I can't think of the name of the song that encourages me right now, but I will tell you when I do.

    ReplyDelete