Monday, August 25, 2014

Introducing... Me!

Hello, world [wide web]!

My name is Molly Maurer. I am a college sophomore on my way to earning a degree in English Composition and a certificate for Grant Writing. Instead of going to a big name school and spending big bucks, I decided to stay close to home and attend our local community college. I could preach to you on why I believe everyone should start out at a community college, but I’m trying to make a good first impression so I’ll save that soap box moment for later.

My induction ceremony for Phi Theta Kappa, the
"oldest, largest, and most prestigious honor
society for two year colleges."
When I was really young I would ask my mom to read me the same books night after night before I went to bed. My love for books has not diminished at all since then; in fact, I do believe that my adoration grows with each new book I read.

I am also a writer (if you hadn't figured that out from my college major). I've written a lot of stories, but my baby is my first and only full-length novel. I'm polishing it up and waiting for feedback from some beta readers, then I'll be seeking a(n) agent/publisher. While I'm waiting on my beta readers, I've taken on some mini side projects (including this blog, although I hope that it will eventually grow out of being a "mini" project).

Writing in a Cornfield.
Photo courtesy of Sabrina Bailey from The Red Room Photography
I was originally going to name my blog “A College Student’s View,” but then I realized that I won’t be a college student forever (at least I hope I won’t be). So instead, I opted for a title that would always reflect my status (for those of you who don’t know, bibliophiles are lovers of books).

Fitness


I used to be the fat kid and I was very self-conscious and awkward. At the end of 2011, one of my friends and I decided that we wanted to start working out and getting fit. After learning about our decision, my mom went out and got us a workout DVD (Jillian Michaels' "30 Day Shred”). I just about died five minutes into the first workout, but I managed to complete it. My friend abandoned me after about three days, but I decided that I was already suffering so I might as well stick with it. Almost three years later and 20 lbs lighter, I’m still working out with Jillian 5-6 days a week.

I don’t claim to be a fitness guru, let me just say that now. I’ve never officially studied health and fitness other than reading a few online posts on the subject. However, I have adopted a healthy lifestyle over the past couple years and I would love to help others adopt one as well.
My favorite pair of shoes, my go-to dumbbells, and my least
favorite, albeit one of the most effective, Jillian Michaels' DVD.

Food


I love to cook. I became my family’s chef at the age of 15. Although there are nights when I’d rather just get takeout, I love creating edible masterpieces. I love slow cooker recipes the most because I can pop something in early when I've still got the energy and not worry about it later on when all I want to do is veg out.

Unfortunately, my brother is the pickiest eater EVER and I can’t make anything too strange. Quinoa? I can barely get away with making it as a side dish. 

Crockpot BBQ pulled pork. Easy, delicious, and family approved!

Faith


I was born and raised in a Christian family. Those Christian values have shaped who I am today. I know not everybody shares my views. Because it is who I am, my posts will reflect this part of me. I will not promise to keep my beliefs to myself, but I do promise not to force them on anyone. I hope that even if you don't share my beliefs, you'll give me a chance and allow me to bring inspiration to your day!

The Lord is my Shepherd
Photo courtesy of Sabrina Bailey from
The Red Room Photography
This is who I am. A student. A bibliophile. A wannabe chef. A health-conscious young adult. A Christian. I am these things and I am so much more, and I hope you all enjoy getting to know me!

Cheers!
Molly

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Can't wait to see more! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll try to have a new post up every weekday - feel free to stop by and read more!

      Delete
  2. Such a great beginning to what I am sure will be a wonderful journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your introduction- let us know a little about who you are. Kudos to you for not giving up on that fitness challenge and keeping up with daily workouts. My daughter is 10 and wants to be the family cook- already getting recipes. I'm very happy about that since I don't like cooking. Good luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete