Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Oatmeal Greek Yogurt Pancakes with Blueberries


I’ve decided to be a good big sister and make a special breakfast for my brother, Kyle, once a week now that he’s back in school. The problem is that I’ll have to wake up super early and I am not a morning person, so we’ll see how long I can keep it up!

I mixed up the dry ingredients the day before to save some time.
On Kyle’s first day back at school I decided to try my hand at oatmeal Greek yogurt pancakes. I had to keep looking over my shoulder to make sure he wasn’t coming in the kitchen. Ever since I’ve started eating healthier he’s been very wary about what I make. The first thing he asked me when he saw me baking was “Those aren’t healthy, are they?”

Are they healthy? Noo... they're just full of healthy ingredients!
Thankfully I was able to throw Kyle off my trail and he ate them and loved them. He wouldn’t hold still for a picture, so the one I have is blurry. I’m lucky to have gotten a picture at all.



These pancakes were so moist (and fluffy!). I’m usually not able to eat pancakes without smothering them in butter and syrup, but I was able to eat these with a drizzle of honey on top. Even Mom and Kyle only used a little bit of butter and syrup with theirs.

Two pancakes was enough to fill two grown women, and three
was enough to fill a growing teenage boy!
Not only are they healthy and delicious, they’re also very filling! Kyle can eat and eat all day long, but by his third pancake he was full. Mom and I were satisfied after two pancakes. The Greek yogurt really adds a lot of protein and sustenance to the pancakes.

According to Calorie Count, each pancake had about 150 calories and 6 grams of protein. If you’re watching your sodium intake, Calorie Count says that these have about 85 mg. (Not taking into consideration any toppings.) Of course it all depends on what ingredients and brands you use, so if you’re concerned about the nutritional value, I would recommend plugging your ingredients into Calorie Count.

Oatmeal Pancakes with Greek Yogurt and Blueberries


Ingredients


1 2/3 cup of all-purpose flour
2/3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 Tbsp brown sugar (packed)
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 cup milk (I used skim)
1 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt (I used Yoplait 100)
4 Tbsp salted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup blueberries

Directions


Preheat nonstick griddle to 350 degrees. If you don’t have a griddle, a skillet should work fine (just make sure to grease it well!)

Mix the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine the milk, yogurt, butter, vanilla, and eggs. Stir/whisk until all wet ingredients are incorporated.

Combine the dry and wet mixtures and stir until smooth. Once the mixtures are combined, add blueberries by folding into the batter.

Depending on what size pancakes you want, pour batter onto the preheated nonstick griddle (I used 1/3 cup). The rule of thumb I learned was to flip the pancakes once the bubbles on the surface start to pop. Another rule of thumb is to cook the pancakes 1-2 minutes per side.


Serve with whatever toppings you desire and enjoy!

Cheers!

Molly

Adapted slightly from Damn Delicious.

1 comment: