Thursday, October 23, 2014

Peanut Butter Oat Muffins


How many people complain that healthy snacks are too expensive? I know it’s a conversation that’s come up a few times in my family. It seems like it costs more money to eat healthy than to splurge on junk food.

Well, I decided last week that I wanted a healthy snack that didn’t require spreading peanut butter on some fruit or grabbing a handful of almonds to munch on (which are my go-to healthy snacks). Unfortunately, I was presented with the dilemma that I described above. (Plus, I didn’t want to go to the store.)

Having a good chunk of time to spare, I decided that I would bake something healthy. I loved the first batch of these so much that I made a second when they ran out, and now I love them even more because I was able to tweak the recipe.

So here is a recipe for a relatively cheap snack that you can make for yourself! (One that requires peanut butter, but you don’t spread it on fruit!)

First, mix 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup oats, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1 Tbsp brown sugar in a mixing bowl.


Next, in a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup applesauce, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 2 eggs, and 1 1/2 Tbsp Stevia liquid.

Once the liquid ingredients are mixed, add 1/4 cup of peanut butter and stir.


After the peanut butter is added to the liquid mixture, add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.


Line a muffin tray with wrappers and spray the wrappers with nonstick cooking spray. Note: adorable owl wrappers are not necessary for the taste, but are essential for the adorable-ness.


Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!


Side note: Mom and I love these muffins, but Kyle thinks they’re too “lite” (i.e. healthy). You might be able to convince your kids to try them by adding ½ cup of dark chocolate chips to the batter.

Peanut Butter Oat Muffins


Ingredients


1 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 ½ Tbsp Stevia liquid (if you’re using sugar, this Stevia brand that I use id 4x as sweet as sugar. You can do the math if you want to use sugar!)
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2 eggs
¼ cup peanut butter

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Mix your dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, mix the stevia, applesauce, yogurt, and eggs until blended.

Once the liquid ingredients are mixed, add the peanut butter. This step might seem a little tricky, but if you keep stirring the peanut butter will loosen up and incorporate into the batter.

After the peanut butter has been mixed in with the liquid ingredients, add half of the dry ingredients and stir. Once mixed, add the rest of the dry ingredients. (The batter is going to be really thick.)

Line a muffin tin with muffin papers and spray the papers with nonstick cooking spray. 

Add a spoonful of the batter to each paper (I eyeball it, but it was probably about ¾ of the way full). Bake for 15-18 minutes; test with a toothpick (stick a toothpick in the middle and pull out; if it comes out clean, your muffins are done).

Let cool for a few minutes, then eat and enjoy.

Makes about 14 muffins. Calories: 110, Protein: 4.7 g

What are some of your go-to healthy snacks?

Cheers!

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment