Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake


I know, I know. You're probably sick of pumpkin and pumpkin spice by now. The good news: you only have to put up with it for about another month. However, I highly suggest you try this cheesecake while pumpkin is in. Because let's be honest: as soon as pumpkin goes out of season, you're likely to miss it.

So this past weekend was my neighborhood's trick-or-treat. We get HUNDREDS of kids. If someone is giving out candy, they better stock up or else they'll be out within twenty minutes. Every year I come across a house where the resident had to run to the store to refill.

(Yes, I still dress up. Don't judge me.)

My friend Karissa and me handing out candy to the little trick-or-treat-ers. (Bonus points if you can guess Karissa's costume!)
I usually have friends over during this time, so I knew I needed to have some sort of fall treat that wasn't candy.

And what's better than pumpkin cheesecake?

I already have a fabulous cheesecake recipe, but, unfortunately, I didn't have all of the ingredients to make that. So I came up with a simpler recipe. This one tastes like cheesecake, but also tastes like pumpkin pie (which my other recipe does not taste like).

The crust is pretty much a simple shortbread. 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/8 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 cup of softened butter all mixed together and set in an 8x8 pan.



The cheesecake is different than my other cheesecake because I use less creamy stuff. This cheesecake calls for 8 oz of low-fat cream cheese (although you could use regular), 1/2 cup sugar. 1 egg, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and 2/3 cup pumpkin puree.


Mix it all together, bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, and you get this nice, creamy filling that tastes like pumpkin pie in cheesecake form.


Let me tell you, it was a big hit with my friends and family.


Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake


Ingredients:


Crust:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup softened butter

Cheesecake:

8 oz low fat cream cheese (the kind that starts with an "n;" you could also use regular cream cheese)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2/3 cup pumpkin puree

Directions:


Place flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and butter in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer. You should have a pasty mixture when your dough is ready.

Spray a 8x8 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Put the dough into the pan and press to cover the bottom (and if you can, go part way up the sides). Make sure there's no holes!

Bake crust at 350 degrees for about twelve minutes.

While crust is baking, cream the cheese and sugar in a bowl with the electric mixer. Once creamy, add the egg and beat until mixed. After that, add the spice, vanilla, and pumpkin and beat until everything is mixed and creamy.

When the crust is done, remove from the oven and pour the filling in.

Bake the cheesecake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Let cool, then place in fridge overnight, then serve and enjoy!

So be honest: are you really sick of pumpkin spice?

Cheers!

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment