Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Author of Life


No matter what’s going on around me, I know that God is in control. And the good news is that God, who is in control of everything, loves me and promises to take care of me. Sadly, I still don’t always trust him as much as I should, and I freak out when something doesn’t go the way I plan, or if I’m trying to make plans and I can’t see how they’re going to make out.

If you’re like me, you might be interested in reading my Control Freaks post.

It’s taken some time to get used to, but I think I’ve finally come to accept the fact that God is the author of life. I’m a writer, so this metaphor helps me. When I write, I understand my characters wants and desires. I [usually] know what’s going to happen before they can see it coming (whether a disaster or something wonderful). I love my characters and I will never abandon them. So it makes sense that God, the author of life, loves me more than I love my characters and that he will never abandon me.

Sometimes life doesn’t go the way I plan and I get upset. But it’s not up to me to be upset. It’s not up to me to be upset at God for letting these things happen. Because God is the author of my life, he gets to decide what happens to me, from beginning to end. The good news is that just like how I will never leave my characters to suffer through a trial on their own, I know that God will never leave me. Also, I will never let something bad happen to my characters without planning some way to redeem them, and I know the same goes for God.

Even though my life is my story, God is the author. It’s not up to me to decide what’s going to happen or what’s not going to happen to me in life; that’s God’s responsibility. My job is to deal with the circumstances when they come my way, and trust that my author won’t leave me to struggle through the obstacles alone.

God loves us and he doesn’t want to harm us. I know there are plenty of authors out there who enjoy putting their characters through trial after trial, and sometimes the main characters dies at the end. The good news is that God is a benevolent author! (And even if you do die, if you’re a Christian, there’s no better happy ending than spending eternity in heaven with God.) He won’t let you go through trial after trial without having those trials mean something, teach you something, or lead you somewhere in the end.


Remember: God makes all things work together for the good of those who love him (Romans 8:28).

Cheers!

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment